3.6.09

Double "D" Day


Today is Double "D" Day because I finally was able to set on the top level of a Double-Decker bus this morning. I thought this would be easy thing to do, but for one thing, not every bus is a double-decker and for another thing, the trip has to be a long to make the upper deck worth it. nyhow, check riding the double-decker off my list of things to do while in London. A small but important accomplishment for this American student. Secretly, I think even the businessmen find it exciting to ride on the upper level. It's like climbing a tree and look out from above leaves. It more exciting being high up (unless you're afraid of heights of course).

Today was day 3 at clinic. So far, my experience has been all positive. There is so much more I need to learn, but I feel like I can and have held my own. Almost all, if not all, of the patients I will be seeing have had an amputation in the past- past being anywhere being 10 days and 40+ years ago. The clinic is a rehab setting with one big gym for both inpatient and outpatient amputees. The patients arrive at the gym in the early morning and then stay and work hard until 3pm. This schedule adequate exercise time that will hopefully promote the quickest and safest return to home and to their daily life.

My role, amongst other things, is to encourage and guide movement and activity. I try to make the activities fun and interesting. A huge part of my job is to make certain that a patient is safe to return home, and he/she is best equipped to return to their daily life. Yes, I promote exercise! But I also wear other hats (I like this variability in my job). I am a motivator and a friend. A listening ear and a problem solver. I think of exercises that will strengthen muscles but also boost self-confidence. And in my personal opinion, however bias it may be, I think the best thing about rehab and exercise and physical therapy is in general is that PT not only strengthens the body, but it also empowers the spirit. It is my job to tell you what you can do! Yes, you can return to a your life. Yes, you may have to be creative in the way you do tasks, even walk. You will need to work hard, without a doub. But if you persevere,and if I do my job well, even after something as as terrible as an amputation, life will continue on. And yes, you have the ability to continue living your life!

No comments: