15.6.09

The Top of the World


This weekend I visited the Prime Meridian. Yes, none other than Greenwich, England. What an awesome place to visit! Tourists and locals alike gathered to picnic in the massive Greenwich Park- some locals even setting up full wine and cheese picnics. One such picnic was complete with white-tablecloth covered tables and accordion player providing the entertainment. Another family picnic within a flower-garden was having a potato-sack race (in black trash bags)- all laughing at themselves as the British seem to like to do.

The views are gorgeous once you climb the steep hill up to the Royal Observatory. The skyline is complete with a beautiful Christopher Wren building (Christopher Wren is a very, very, very well-known architect in London), St Paul's Cathedral and the massive O2 Arena (future sight of the 2012 Olympics-gymnastics and basketball finals). And there I was, upon the hill, on top of the world. I wondered around, asking friendly tourists to take my picture on the Prime Meridian (O degrees longitude), thus, the center of the earth. Then down the other side of the hill I went, and lo and behold, I stumbled upon a family fun fair! No summer is complete with a carnival or two. There was a petting zoo, free donkey rides (no, I didn't go on a ride), and greasy, wonderful carnival food- doughnuts, fish and chips, kabobs, cheese-steaks (a bit of Philly, but not quite). And the best part of it all- the kites! Hundreds of kites!

I took it all in. For myself. For my dad who loves kites. For my sister and mom. For the gift of being on what felt like the top of the world. A smile on my face, reminiscing on kite flying days with dad, and a bag of fresh doughnuts in my hand, I enjoyed the pleasure of having no schedule, nowhere to be, no "agenda." And so, I watched as kids of all ages (5 to 55 years old) flew their kites, some crashing, others flying high. And I was at peace. Even though I was many many miles away from home. Even though I was still missing family and friends. But thankful for this opportunity to be in this beautiful place. It was the kind of beauty you can never explain fully in words. And I realized that traveling by yourself is bittersweet but freeing at the same time. What a place it was- it felt like the top of world.

No comments: