9.6.09

Where's Natalie?

So,let's suppose that you were in London, and you wanted to find me but you couldn't reach my cell-phone because well, I don't have one! (This has been a very freeing experience, not having a cell; we'll see if I feel this way in a month though!)

Where would you find Natalie?

1. During the week, I'm at the hospital. Working hard. Being myself. Being a PT.

2. In my "flat." My home base. It's a cozy place. And because my computer is my only means of communication with friends and family at home, you will find me sitting up, sometimes late into the night (like tonight), "skyping" mom, my sister and anyone who has the same accent as me!

3. Running! Through parks. Around nearby neighborhoods. Stumbling upon places that are vaguely familiar. Running until the road ends and then turning around and running back. Running in straight lines is key, especially if you don't want to get lost! I'm finding that running this way, and in big loops, is the best way to scope out local cafes, pretty gardens and beautiful row-homes.

4. Searching for real coffee! There is a cafe at every corner in London, so you would think it'd be easy to find good coffee. You thought wrong. If you ask for a coffee at any cafe, you'll probably end up with espresso mixed with hot water and/or a cup of INSTANT COFFEE! Not a Quick Check, 7-11, Sheetz or Wawa in sight. Oh, the dreaded instant coffee! And so, I search for real, strong, coffee. "Filter coffee" as they call it. Such things I have taken for granted...but not anymore!

5. Playing ultimate frisbee in front of Buckingham Palace. This past Sunday, I joined a group of young Brits and few American students in a pick-up game of ultimate. It was "lovely" (as they say here)! As the sound of marching band filled the air, there I was, in London, playing one of my favorite sports...and getting to know new people at the same time!

6. At a pub. Pubs are a crucial part of the British culture. The other day I had a pint of "Hobglobin"...you won't find that in Philly!

7. Lost (although I'll rarely admit it...I get that from my Dad). I have been saved many many times my the maps of London stored in my iPod. And what a relief it is to see that big red circular sign with the word "Underground" on it: the Tube. My ticket home. I'm found once again!

3 comments:

Angie said...

I love this post! I love picturing you doing all those fun things you do. :)

Charlie & Kate said...

how did I not realize this fabulous blog?? I love your new layout(o:

Anyway, so I'm picturing you doubling back a couple of times in one city block, trying to figure out which way is the one you want to take...and almost barreling into several people in the process(o: teehee(o:

I'm glad you're falling in love with this wonderful city!

Vince said...

Yeah, a lot of that sounds fun but No. 4 sounds like a bummer... like going camping and getting by on zip lock baggies of Sanka and Cremora every morning, only this is for 3 months!