27.8.09

I'm broke, but it was well worth it.

It's a strange feeling, coming home after 3 months of living in another county. Back to New York accents. Back to driving on the right side of the road. Back to a place you've known all you're life. And you feel both instantly comfortable but also out of place. Momentarily at least. Now, I can't teleport (not yet at least), but it almost feels like I have. Such an abrupt end to an amazing summer away. A sudden reality check. But a necessary one. And so, for the past few days, I've lived in unbelief. Yes, it's great to be home. There's no place like home. But it's surreal. Did this summer really happen? Did I really take the overnight bus from London to Paris and back again? Did I really play ultimate frisbee in the Queen's park (Green Park)? And where did all the pubs go??

Anyway, what I really set out to say in writing this blog was a simple thank you. Thank you to mom and dad, family and friends, professors at Arcadia University and those people who gave me the extra loans, for supporting me through this adventure and amazing experience. Thank you to the staff and patients at Queen Mary's for welcoming me to London, for taking me under your wing and leading me by example, for teaching me so so much about amputees, prosthetics and physio, for being my family, and for being my friends. I will cherish all the memories, and who knows, maybe I'll be back to visit some day. Thank you Leslie for being my roommate, for exploring London with me, for keeping me sane and calm as we waited on the side of the highway for our bus back to London, and just for being a friendly and familiar face day in and day out. (I still can't believe how small our room was!)

This whole "living in London" experience was a greater blessing than I could ever have hoped for. I am grateful for the memories and the lessons learned (both PT related and life lessons). But most of all, I am grateful for all the support from all of you. Thank you. Cheers.

3 comments:

Angie said...

SO glad you went. SO glad your home. SO glad I see you in one week! :)

Charlie & Kate said...

too bad you could smuggle some clotted cream back with you(o: I'm really looking forward to seeing you at Nat's wedding!

Charlie & Kate said...

too bad you could smuggle some clotted cream back with you(o: I'm really looking forward to seeing you at Nat's wedding!