17.5.08

Down at the Country Fair!

Both in Virginia and now in Pennsylvania, I have been lucky enough to live in two worlds simultaneously. Two environments, at least. And should also add that I'm from New Jersey (or "New Jourzee" to those of you who like to pretend like you can imitate the Jersey accent...j/k). I grew up in the suburbs, in a place where every major highway/business/shopping mall was within a 10 mile radius from my home. A very convenient place to live.

I miss living in Virginia a lot. I miss riding my bike to the Farmer's Market. Hiking and/or Driving through the Shenandoah National Park and the country roads. I miss both the small town atmosphere as well as the "college town" environment. I miss the church I attended. Although I never became a member of the church, I still consider it and the friends I made their "my church family." Yes, VA was very good to me.

But now I'm living outside of Philadelphia. Once again, I feel like I'm living in two environments. I'm living in the suburbs (once again) of Philly. And simliar to living in the suburbs of NYC, I still have yet to take full advantage of the city and all it has to offer. (Note to self: work on this.) But while I living on the outskirts of the city, I also live on the outskirts of the country. Before last night, I didn't really KNOW what kind of land was North and west of me. So last night, a few of my classmates and I went down to the "Country Fair." It was a lot of fun. My first Country Fair.

Homemade Strawberry Pie. Barbecue Chicken with Coleslaw and a Buttered Roll. It was the kind of the thing where everyone knew everyone. There was a Silent Auction. And a Quilt Auction. Really Nice Quilts. It was just your good old fashion Country Fair. I think I liked it. Yes, I know I enjoyed it. I liked watching neighbors eat barbeque chicken together catching up with each other's lives. I watched teenage girls flirting with teenage boys. And I ate pie. The pie was AMAZING. There was an assembly line of 4 woman in the cafeteria making the pies fresh! Crust. Fresh Strawberries. Fresh Strawberry Jam/Sauce. Whip Cream and there you go...one pie of scrumptious homestyle goodness. MMM MMM. Those Mennonite women sure do know a thing or two about baking!

After we ate our way through the country fair, we headed to the movies to see the Kings and Queens of Late defeat the Telmarines in "Prince Caspian." It was definitely as good, if not better, than the first movie! Just as Lucy, Peter, Edmond and Susan live in two worlds (Narnia and England), I also feel like I live in two worlds. Good thing too...one world would be boring!! Philadelphia may not be Narnia, but it is magical in it's own way. City. Country. And with both of these comes DIVERSITY. I consider myself very fortunate indeed. I am receiving an awesome education. Making new friends. Eating some amazing food. Experiencing a lot of new things. MMM MMM. Did I say how AWESOME that Strawberry Pie was?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

you are really like the best storyteller i know of, and im really glad you could come to my home stomping grounds because that was fun. we should do it again sometime. see you monday!

Unknown said...

I like the blog. I might have to start a Push The Rock one as well. Have a good week.