1.5.08

The healing power of touch...

You've probably heard about the phrase, "the healing power of touch. " Pretty much, it's a theory (more than a theory really) claiming that the simple act of "touch" can be an awesome connecting force and maybe even a healing force-a force transmitted from one body to another. I believe in the healing power of touch. If I didn't, I probably wouldn't believe in the practice of physical therapy as much as I do. Why do I believe in it? Truth be told, there probably isn't any hard evidence that says that the act of touching is what cures/heals a person. Yet, I still believe in the power of touch....the following portraits are true stories.

An older woman sits by herself in the lobby of a nursing home. She sits there, staring into space, in her pretty pink sweater. I spark a conversation with her. I soon realize that she is hard of hearing, and she probably only hears every 3rd word I am saying. I put my hand on her wheel chair and she takes it and then holds it between hers. "You are so beautiful" she tells me. Thank you. (It must be because I'm Italian...) She continues to hold my hand. She puts my hand to her cheek. She pinches my cheek. No one has done that to me in 20 years by the way. She doesn't let go of my hand but I don't mind. How long has it been since someone has given her a hug? Held her hand and just listened to her talk about her life? Although I've never met this woman before, we are able to see eye to eye for these few moments. Just as our hands are connected, so are our hearts.

A younger woman this time. She rests on the couch. Her children are asleep (hopefully) in the other room. She looks at her arm and tries to make a fist. Her hand is stiff and swollen, the early signs of lymphedema. When it's really bad, she can't even see her knuckles because it is so swollen. What a year it's been, and now this? she thinks to herself. She shows me how to massage her arm like the Massage Therapist does. Push it up toward the fingers. Drain it down toward the lymph nodes. After 10 minutes of massage, the swelling has gone down some. Unfortunately, the swelling will come back. Fortunately, there are ways that we can control and manage it.
It's amazing how we can push and drain and massage what is deep within the body. all stuff we can't see (nor understand).

I stand in the parking lot. It's past midnight, and it's been a long day. I am trying to remain strong, but my courage is quickly failing me. My friend gets out of the car."I'm so sorry Nat. I'm SO sorry." She gives me a hug. We stand there for a while, she holding me tight, and I'm holding onto her even tighter. Tears rise up in my eyes and my body starts to shakes. I can't believe I just did that. What if something had happened to me? No one would have known. I don't want to let go of my friend. I can't let go. not yet. We don't speak. We don't have to. We are connected. We both need each other. And as we stand there, I pray a few words to Jesus. I need HIM. Right now. Every hour I need Him.

There is healing power to touch. I have to believe this because of each of the above situations. Have you hugged your loved ones today? When is the last time you "snuggled" with someone? Given a massage? Held someone's hand? Just as a baby longs to be held by its mommy, to be rocked, to be soothed, we need to be held...and hugged...and kissed...and loved!

1 comment:

angie said...

Awwww, Nat. I love you! Good reminder of how we need others and how we need Jesus.