26.2.08

Connective Tissue

I am currently reading Bill Hayes new book, “The Anatomist” a true story of Gray’s Anatomy. Ever since I took anatomy during my junior year at JMU, I have been fascinated with the human body and I have fallen in love with the study of how the body is organized, aka, anatomy. Thus far, I have enjoyed the Hayes’ book, although I must warn you that very little is known about Henry Gray, the author of the famous text: Gray’s Anatomy. Therefore, “The Anatomist” is not only about the life of Henry Gray himself but also the author’s pursuit to experience Gray’s Anatomy first-hand: he enrolls in an anatomy dissection class. This book is only increasing my excitement to undergo my own dissections this upcoming summer, and I would highly recommend the book.

Ok, I didn’t mean for this to turn into a book review, but I guess it did. What I really wanted to share was the author’s reflection that "life can be compared to connective tissue." By connective tissue I mean, the ligaments, tendons, fascia (fat), etc. that organizes the body. I guess you could say that connective tissue (CT) is the glue for the muscles, bones and other elements of the body. CT provides crucial support and order in our bodies. So how is CT similar to life itself? Well, I think Hayes says it best:

Everything is connected. One can think about life solely in terms of different kinds of CT: The attachments to family and friends that sustain you. The relationships that anchor you…On some deep, unseen anatomical level, connectedness is vital. Without it, you would fall apart.

When I think about my life, I realize that who I am is a reflection of the relationships I have chosen (or maybe, that chose me?). First, I was raised by two wonderfully loving and caring parents. To this day, I still look up to my brilliant and smart and beautiful older sister. I could not have asked for a more loving family. Futhermore, I am blessed to have so many sisters and brothers in Christ that encourage me in my faith and challenge me to live a life aligned with Jesus Christ. And last but not least, my aunts, uncles, grandparents, friends and peers inspire me to live life to its fullest (a lesson I forget all too often. ) Indeed, I would fall apart without the support and love of my friends and family. My body and soul craves to build closer relationships—new and old. Just as the body will fall apart without connective tissue, my life has no meaning separated from my relationship with God and my relationships of the past, the present and the future.

No comments: